Collection GNS/1 - Glasgow Educational Society records

Identity area

Reference code

GB 249 GNS/1

Title

Glasgow Educational Society records

Date(s)

  • 1834 - 1839 (Creation)

Level of description

Collection

Extent and medium

6 items

Context area

Name of creator

(Founded 1834)

Administrative history

The Glasgow Educational Society was founded in 1834 at the instigation of J.C. Colquhoun, of Killermont, MP, with the aim of establishing a Normal Seminary for the training of teachers. David Stow and the Reverend George Lewis were joint secretaries. The Society adopted the Glasgow Infant School as its model infant school, and St John's Parochial School as its model junior school. It opened the Glasgow Normal Seminary in 1837.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Annual and other reports; constitution and regulations.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Open

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Critique of "Scotland : a half educated nation" (Ref: GB 249 GNS/9/19)

Review and comment on 3rd report published in Church of Scotland magazine (Ref: GB 249 GNS/9/3)

Appeal on behalf of the Glasgow Normal Seminary. Glasgow : Collins, 1836 [not held]

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places