Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
- Glasgow Technical College (Weaving Branch) (1877-1896)
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
In 1871, a Committee for Promoting Technical Education was formed in Glasgow, and as a result the Glasgow Technical College (Weaving Branch) was founded in 1877, the first of three projected branches. In 1896, it became a limited liability company, known as the Incorporated Weaving, Dyeing and Printing College of Glasgow and was eventually absorbed by the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College in 1908.
The Weaving College was located in Well Street in the Calton area of Glasgow, East of Glasgow Cross. Calton had been a centre of weaving since the 18th century and the Calton Weavers were among the first groups to demonstrate against falling prices and the decline of the textile industry in the latter years of the century.