- 1901-1972 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
The Glasgow Athenaeum Commercial College was established in 1888 to look after the commercial teaching side of the Glasgow Athenaeum. The two institutions shared the Athenaeum building. In 1903, the College became a Scottish Central Institution funded by the Scotch Education Department. In 1915, in order to conduct a public appeal for funds for a new building, the College was reconstituted as the Glasgow and West of Scotland Commercial College (Incorporated).
Name of creator
In 1915, the Glasgow Athenaeum Commercial College was reconstituted as the Glasgow and West of Scotland Commercial College (Incorporated).
In 1934, the College moved into a new building in Pitt Street, near Charing Cross, designed by James Miller. The College offered a wide range of commercial and professional courses including commercial and secretarial, business administration, accountancy, law, modern languages and social work. In 1944, the College founded the Scottish Hotel School and, in 1946, the Scottish School of Librarianship. In 1950, it established the Glasgow School of Management jointly with the Royal Technical College. Students studied for the associateship and diploma of the College, awards of external bodies, and external degrees of London University. In 1955, the College was renamed the Scottish College of Commerce.
In 1964, the Scottish College of Commerce merged with the Royal College of Science and Technology to form the University of Strathclyde.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material