- Digital copies and transcripts, 2016 (Creation)
- Original recordings, 1998-2000 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Paper, compact cassettes and digital files
Name of creator
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
27 interviews with sufferers from asbestos-related disease and/or members of their families. Sound recordings and transcripts (17), transcript only (10), or sound only (1). Also questionnaires.
Anonymity was assured to all project participants. Only Owen and Margaret Lilley (SOHC 4/14) opted out.
One recording had been mistakenly aggregated with this oral history project but was found not to relate to asbestos. As a result , there is no interview with the reference number SOHC 4/12.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
- Johnston, R and McIvor, A (2000) 'Lethal work: a history of the asbestos tragedy in Scotland'
- Gorman, T; Johnston, R; McIvor, A and Watterson, A (2004) 'Asbestos in Scotland', in 'International journal of occupational and environmental health' 10: 183–192
- Johnston, R and McIvor, A (2007) 'Narratives from the urban workplace: oral testimonies and the reconstruction of men's work in the heavy industries of Glasgow' ('Testimonies of the city: identity, community, and change in a contemporary urban world', ed. J Herbert and R Rodger)
- McIvor, A (2013) 'Working lives: work in Britain since 1945'