Forme autorisée du nom
Forme(s) parallèle(s) du nom
Forme(s) du nom normalisée(s) selon d'autres conventions
Autre(s) forme(s) du nom
Numéro d'immatriculation des collectivités
Zone de description
The original St David's Church was built in 1720, in the heart of the Merchant City of Glasgow. This building was demolished in the early 19th century to create a new road, Ingram Street, and a new St David's Church was built in 1824 on the same site. Thomas Rickman, a Birmingham architect, was chosen to design the new building, and his plans were modified by Dr James Cleland, Superintendent of Public Works in Glasgow. The church halls were constructed in 1920. By 1911, all thirty two windows had been filled with stained or painted glass, containing memorials to prominent citizens. Most of the stained glass was made in Glasgow, which was a world leader in stained glass at that time.
The Merchant City area declined during the 20th century and, with a dwindling congregation, the Church of Scotland sold the Ramshorn Church to the University of Strathclyde in 1982. The building later became the home of the Strathclyde Theatre Group. The University also had a much older connection with the Ramshorn, in that the University's founder, Professor John Anderson, attended the church in the 18th century and was buried in the crypt. His grandfather and namesake, the Reverend John Anderson had been its minister in earlier days.