Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The West of Scotland Agricultural College was established in 1899, on the merger of the Scottish Dairy Institute and the agricultural department of the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College.
In 1900, the College was located in Blythswood Square, Glasgow. In 1927, the estate of Auchincruive, Ayr, belonging to the late John Hannah of Girvan Mains, Girvan, was presented to the College. Initially, the Blythswood site was a major centre for teaching and administration whilst the Auchincruive site was devoted to activities such as farming, poultry husbandry, horticulture and estate forestry. In 1974, the Blythswood Square site was closed.
In 1990, the College became part of the Scottish Agricultural College.